There are a couple of parameters that you may need to consider:
- Your Niche: What is it that you will earn from, will it be a service or a product.
- Competition: Make a quick study of who all are in this field that you select. This would consist of other Freelance persons and other Business houses who may offer similar product or service that you are looking at.
- Pricing: From the above study you need to be clear on the pricing as well. Remember what a Freelance person will offer will be different than what a Business house may offer for similar services / products. Add to this at your initial stages you may want to consider a little price advantage.
- Infrastructure: You need to list down what is it that you need to run your Freelance Business. Check on what you need and what you have, make a list of the items that you need.
- Timing: You need to fix your timing of work. Though it is thought that Freelance workers have flexible timing - this will not hold good for you especially when you are just starting a new venture. If you will be disrespectful of time then it is not going to hold good for you.
- Marketing: By deciding that you will now start off doing Freelance tasks / projects does not take you anywhere. You will need to make people aware of what you are offering. You will need to spread the word. For this you need to create your Business profile and Network. As Freelancer do not be anonymous.
All the best!
You may find this interesting: The Fun In Having Your Own Business Set-Up!