Writing for your clients on Wikipedia is a very niche project. As a Freelance writer if you are keen to write on Wikipedia and are wondering on how to go about doing this then read on.
Wikipedia is also called as Wiki. This is the online encyclopedia that you will find in multiple languages. You will notice that Wiki has academic as well as non-academic information. You yourself would have visited Wiki while doing a quick online research.
There are some basic things that you need to know before you start your Wiki page:
- First and foremost understand very clearly on what you are to write. It is important that you write with a focused thought process.
- Once you have decided to write search on the Wiki if anyone else has written similar subject. If yes then decide if you should write on that page itself or create a new page. If incase there are no results on your Wiki search with regards to your topic then you do need to check if you should write the new topic. There are lots of people writing daily on Wiki; you need to figure out why your topic is not as yet attempted.
- Once you know that you do need to write then post your write up. Before submitting it and making it go live see to it that you have read it and that it does make sense to you and your reader.
- Writers who are very consistent on Wiki communicate with each other via the Wiki Talk page. They discuss on plagiarism and so on. Be very careful when you write on Wiki.
- Anyone can edit, delete and flag you and your client. Hence it is best that you share the sources of your information and write a very good quality of post.
- Be authentic. Register on Wiki and then start to write.
- Read these two posts before starting out on Wiki: